My Insurance Claim Was Denied
- Unfairly denied benefits because the plan administrator decided they were not disabled (even if Social Security already approved a disability claim)
- Denied benefits because the insurer doesn’t agree with the degree of disability
- Paid less than they should have received under the plan
The Pennington Law Firm, LLC, in Birmingham can help you through the insurance appeals process. Our founding lawyer, John M. Pennington, has helped thousands of people just like you fight for the insurance coverage to which they’re rightfully entitled. He can review your policy and help you gather the necessary documentation to prove your claim.
Appealing Insurance Claims Subject To ERISA
If you have disability insurance through your employer, and your claim for benefits was denied, your appeal may be subject to ERISA, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974. Under this law, disabled employees can compel insurance companies to review their previously denied claims through an extensive administrative process. In general, the steps for appealing a denied disability claim under ERISA include:
- Filing an administrative appeal within 180 days of the notice of denial of benefits
- If the claim is still denied, pursuing the claim in federal court, which cannot consider any new evidence not already included in the administrative appeal
Because of the highly procedural nature of this process, it’s important to involve a skilled Alabama disability lawyer like Mr. Pennington as soon as possible. Too often filers wait until the case goes to federal court to look for a lawyer; however, you cannot add evidence once a case goes to federal court, so it likely will be too late to develop a strong case.
Contact Us Right Away To Protect Your Rights To Insurance Coverage
The Pennington Law Firm, LLC, provides sound counsel and dedicated advocacy aimed at helping you obtain the benefits you’re counting on. Contact us at (205)314-5735 to schedule a free initial consultation with our attorney.